Polish Winter Vegetable ‘Jarzynowa’ Salad Recipe
Polish Vegetable Salad is a traditional Polish side dish usually served at weddings or holiday celebrations. It is prepared from cooked root vegetables (potato + carrot + parsley root + celery root) combined with cucumbers in brine and hard-cooked eggs in mayonnaise and mustard sauce.
The secret of a good Polish Salad is to have all the ingredients diced very fine, no larger than a green pea. This salad is found as a cold starter especially for breakfast at Christmas or Easter and is served with cold cuts, cheese and bread.
PREP TIME: 2 hours / 1 day
NEED: big (5 liter) and small pot, big bowl, vegetable cutter (optional)
- 2 medium potatoes
- Â 2 carrots
- 2 Parsley root or Parsnip
- 1 small celery root
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 4 cucumbers in brine (pickles) – see HERE how to make
- 1 small onion (egg size or smaller)
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 6 tbsp sour cream or yogurt
- 1 tsp mustard
- pinch of salt, pepper
- Place whole vegetables (#1-4): potatoes, carrots, celery root, parsley root (washed, not peeled, with skin, not cut) in the pot, cover with water, bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20-40 min. You can also steam vegetables. *Cooking time depends on your vegetbles, so it is not possibe to specify cooking time here. Also, some vegetables will cook faster then other and you will need to remove them earlier. Vegetbles are ready, when they are fully cooked, you can check them but sticking a fork. If the fork gets in easily, then vegetables is cooked. Once cooked, remove from the pot, set aside on a plate and let chill to room temperature.
- Peel /scrub off skin from cooked and chilled vegetables.
- Cut in 1/4 inch-1/2 cm pieces. I cut them in slices and then press thru the vegetable cutter. Place them in a large bowl.
- Place eggs (#5) in a seperate small pot, cover with water, brin to boil and cook for about 10 min. Eggs must be hard-boiled. Remove and leave until chilled to room temperature.
- Cut egg in 1/4 inch-1/2 cm pieces (same as vegetables). Add eggs to the bowl.
- Cook peas (#6) – 10 min or until soft. Let chill. Add them to the bowl.
- Peel cucumbers in brine (#7), cut in 1/4 inch-1/2 cm pieces. Place in a strainer, squeeze the juice. Add cucumbers to the bowl.
- Chop onion (#8) and add to the bowl.
- (optional) If I have time, I leave the vegetables in the fridge for few hours or overnight. This way when they chill, they absorb less sauce, But if you do no have time, skip this step.
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce.
- Add sauce to the bowl with vegetables and stir well until all are covered. Keep in the fridge, covered.
PAIR WITH: bread, cold cuts, olives, pickled mushroom, cheese,Â
10 thoughts on “Polish Winter Vegetable ‘Jarzynowa’ Salad Recipe”
I tasted this at a polish store in Livonia, Mi. delicious. How do I down load your recipe?
it is posted on the web now, you can use print button
Too much work!! Where can I buy it?
I lookk forward to making this authentic and delicious salad!
I look forward to making this authentic and delicious salad!
Can you clarify – is the mustard in this recipe dried, powdered mustard or prepared, vinegar-based mustard.
I am thinking it is the former, but hope you will let me know.
It is mustard cream sauce – I use French Dijon mustard from the jar. it is not dried not powdered. You are easily skip mustard and just use regular Hellman’s Mayo only.