Polish Pickled Orange Milk Mushroom
Polish Orange Milk Mushroom – proper name Lactarius Deliciousus – in polish just ‘rydze’ – are popular wild edible mushroom that Poles harvest in the fall. It is just about time now, from late September to October that these are in season. I was never a huge fan of mushroom picking – first because I only know few mushroom for sure, second – because I could never find one. Recently, on the walks with my dogs to the woods, I just see them and pick, then make sure with my neighbor – local villager – who knows all about wild mushrooms – and fry fresh or pickle.
SERVES: 4-6 jars
PREP TIME: 15 min
NEED: 6 1-cup jars, 3 liter / quart pot, 1 liter / quart pot
- 500g wild orange milk mushroom, cleaned (see here)
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small onion
- 6 garlic gloves
- 6 bay leaf
- 12 allspice
- 3 tsp mustard seeds
- Bring to boil 2 liters of water in a large pot, add mushroom and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes
- In each jar, prepare spices (1 bay leaf, 2 all spice, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds), 1 garlic clove and 1 layer of onion (ingredients #6-8)
- In a small pot, bring to boil vinegar, water, salt and sugar (ingredients #2-5)
- Using a spoon, pack as many mushroom as you can in one jar
- Cover mushroom with hot liquid and let cool.
- Seal the jar and let marinade for 5 days.
- Store for months in dark place (like cabinet).
PAIR WITH: salads, bread, eat on the side, with sandwich, as snack or finger food, with cheese platter