Polish Creamy Yellow Peas Soup
Dried yellow peas are popular in a vegetable pea soup or in cooked sour kraut traditional dish for Christmas Eve in Poland. But very recently – since beans of any kind are highly benefitial foryour health, peas cream became very popular. This soup is best on a cool day, will fill you up and is tasty. My mom once hosted me with this dish and since then it landed on my regular menu.
SERVES: 6-8 ppl
PREP TIME: 2 hrs cook time + min 2 hrs soaking peas
NEED: 3 qt pot, non stick frying pan, drainer, blender
- 1/2 cup dried yellow peas
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut in cubes
- 3 small potatoes, cut in cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch of ground pepper
- 1/2 cup thin pasta noodles
- 3 tbsp sour cream (optional)
- 1 tbsp heavy cream (optional)
- Rince 1/2 cup yellow peas under running water. Place in 3qt pot and cover with 2 cups of water. Let sit for at least 2 hours.
- Bring to boil and simmer on low/medium heat for 90 minutes (more or less until soft, the longer you soak the shorter it takes to cook them soft). Once cooked, do not drain.
- In the meantime, drop 1 tbsp of olive oil in the pan, onion, carrot an potatoes, heat up and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables from the pan to cooked peas, add salt. Fill your 3 qt pot with additional water until it is 2/3 covered (2 qt). Bring to boil and simmer on medium heat for another 10 min.
- Add spices (cumin, basil and pepper) then blend until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup thin pasta noodles or risoni (or some other thin pasta type of your preference), bring to boil and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Optional step – add sour cream and heavy cream and stir well.
- Serve and smile 🙂
*you should get approx. 2 qt soup
*if your soup if too creamy, add some more water in step #4 after blending until you reach desired thickness
PAIR WITH: bread, crispy bacon, crispy polish kielbasa cubes