Polish Apple Pancakes – ‘Racuchy’
Polish Style Apple Pancakes ‘Racuchy’ or ‘Placki z jablkami’ is a traditional Polish dish from the same family of foods as the crÃªpe and similar to American pancakes. They are very popular in all areas of Poland, eaten for breakfast, as desert or for supper if you like it sweet way. I would not say these are the healthies, since they are fried in deep oil, but definitely very tasty. If you don’t eat them every day, but like me – from time to time as a treat – they will not hurt your diet badly. Best eaten freshly made and warm, but can also be served next day, cold or heated up.
PREP TIME: 30 min
NEED: large pan
- 3 apples, peeled
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup flower
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp sugar
- drop of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- oil (for frying, vegetable, coconut, clarified butter)
- Mix together all ingredients (#2-#7) in the food processor until creamy.
- Either shred apples on thick shredder or use shredding disc and add to the mixture. It should be thick liquid.
- Heat up 1 cm/ half inch of oil in the pan.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto the pan and fry medium heat both side until golden brown. *Keep adding oil each time as you fry the pancakes
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar (maple syrup or honey is good as well but not typical in Poland for this dish)
PAIR WITH: coffee