Another Indian vegetarian meal – very quick and easy to make but you need to have some basic Indian spices. Very aromatic, light and healthy meal. A bit spicy but you can adjust to you taste.
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
NEED: 1 pot, approx. 2 qt/2l
- Oil for cooking
- pinch of chili flakes
- pinch of mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 cup tomato puree or chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 medium carrots, cut in 1cm/half inch cubes, about 2 cups
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Pour oil into the pot to cover the bottom, add chili flakes (#2) and mustard seeds (#3) and heat up.
- Once oil is hot, add chopped onion (#4), stir and sauté until golden.
- Add garlic (#5) and ginger (#6) and sauté for another minute.
- Add tomatoes (#7) and sauté for few minutes until sauce is mushy.
- Add spices: garam masala, coriander powder, salt and curry (#8-11) and sauté for few minutes until sauce turns aromatic.
- Add carrots (#12) and green peas (#13), stir and sauté for 2-3 min.
- Pour water (#14) to cover the carrots and peas. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 min until carrots are tender.
- Pour in coconut milk (#15), stir and cook for another 2 min.
*I cook 1/2 cup of Jasmine rice for 2 people
PAIR WITH: Serve with rice, Indian breads (roti) or alone.