Spanish ‘Pisto’ with Couscous
SERVES: 6 (makes 3 Litres/Qts of stew)
PREP TIME: 1 hour
- 2 onions (about 300 g)
- 1 chili pepper
- 300 g (2/3 lb) â€˜chorizoâ€™ spanish sausage (can double if you prefer more â€˜meatyâ€™)
- 1 kg (2 lb) bell pepper/capsicum (mix color)
- 0,5 kg eggplant
- 0,5 kg tomatoes (or 1 can)
- 6 tbsp oil
- 6 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp salt (1 for eggplant and 1 for cooking)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1 cup dry couscous
NEED: 4 Litre/Qt pot
- Cut eggplant in 1,5 cm cubes, sprinkle with 1 tsp salt, set aside. This step triggers a process called osmosis, which draws water out of the vegetable.
- Cut onions in 1 cm pieces.
- Chop chili pepper removing seeds.
- Add 4 tbsp oil to the pot, medium heat, add onions and chili and warm up to release aroma and flavor.\remove the seeds from capsicum/bell pepper and dice in 1,5 cm pieces, and once all ready, add to the pot and stir.
- Cut chorizo in thin half slices/ small pieces, add to the pot.
- In the meantime, while the onions, chili, bell peppers and chorizo are simmering, rinse eggplant from salt, dry, then add to the pot and stir and leave on low/medium heat until next steps is done.
- In the meantime, prepare tomatoes. In t his step you can you fresh good quality tomatoes â€“ if in season. You can also use canned tomatoes or passata. For fresh tomatoes, chop them and add to the pot.
- Add spices: sweet pepper, salt, oregano, herbes de provense, and additional 2 tbsp of oil unless your sausage was very fatty.
- Simmer on low/medium heat for another 10 min. *All vegetables should be soft, but not falling apart, so please check from time to time.
- Prepare couscous according to directions.
- Mix together couscous with stew and serve.
PAIR WITH: bread (fresh baguette), salad like kimchi, cucumbers in brine