Potato Pancakes with Chanterelles Sauce
Very popular meal, especially when chanterelles are in season, fall, and especially in the south of Poland, in the mountains. Chanterelles and other wild mushrooms are picked up in the woods by locals and sold to restaurants as treat.
This indeed is a heavy meal – oil fried pancakes and mushroom creamy sauce -but I never regret making and eating it. It is just delicious and very special.
PREP TIME: 30 min
NEED: frying pan, food processor (for pancakes)
Prepare pancakes using this recipe: Polish Potato Pancakes Recipe
Wait with frying until your creamy sauce is done.
- 500g (1lb) chanterelles mushroom, cleaned (see: Wild Chanterelles – how to clean?)
- 1 medium onion, cut in 1cm (1/2 inch) pieces
- 2 tbsp clarified butter (do not substitute for oil or olive as mushroom loose their aroma and taste)
- 300 ml (1 cup) cream (30%)
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) water
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Add onion to butter and soften on low heat for 2 minutes
- Chanterelles – cut in half or quarters or leave whole pieces if small – fry on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring
- Add cream, water, salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes
PAIR WITH: beer 🙂