Polish â€˜Leczoâ€™ Vegetable & Sausage Stew Recipe
This is one of my favoriteÂ late summer one-pot-meals when bell peppers (capsicum) and zucchini are in season. Of course, this can be prepared all year long, as all ingredients are available in all seasons.Â
This meal is very popular in Poland and is called ‘Leczo’ but I believe it originates in Hungary. Although I found that each country has its version of this stew. Spanish have ‘Pistoâ€™, French have their ‘Ratatouille’ but they all are based on same ingredients but different spices.
Super healthy meal, rich in vitamins which are absorbed with the fat from sausage and oil.Â In Poland it can be eaten for lunch, dinner or supper.
I am sure you will be a fan of this easy recipe once you try it.
SERVES: 6 (makes 3 Litres/Qts of stew)
- 2 onions (about 300 g)
- 300 g (2/3 lb) polish sausage (can double if you prefer more â€˜meatyâ€™)
- 1 kg (2 lb) bell pepper/capsicum (mix color)
- 1 kg zucchini
- 1 kg tomatoes (or 2 cans)
- 6 tbsp oil
- 6 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
NEED:Â 4 Litre/Qt pot
- Cut onions in 1 cm pieces.
- Add 4 tbsp oil to the pot, medium heat, add onions.
- Cut sausage in 1 cm pieces, add to the pot.
- In the meantime, while the onions and sausage are simmering, remove the seeds from capsicum/bell pepper and dice in 1,5 cm pieces, and once all ready, add to the pot and stir. *This should take about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, remove the seeds/soft part from zucchini, and cut into 1,5 cm cubes, and once all ready, add to the pot ans stir. *You can leave the skin, half peel (like here) or completely peel. *This should take about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare tomatoes. To remove skins, place tomatoes in a bowl and our boiling water over. Leave for 1 minute. Strain from water and peel. Cut tomatoes in 1,5 cm cubes, once all ready, add to the pot and stir.Â *If you prefer to leave the skins on, it is OK, however, cooked skins can be hard to digest so I prefer to peel. *This should take you 10 minutes. *If you use canned tomatoes, please allow this 10 minutes for stew to cook before you add them to the pot.
- Add spices: sweet pepper, salt, oregano, pepper and additional 2 tbsp of oil unless your sausage was very fatty. *You can add some chili if you like it more spicy.
- Cook for another 10 min. *All vegetables should be soft, but not falling apart, so please check from time to time.
PAIR WITH: bread (fresh baguette), rice, couscous, potatoes, barley or eat alone.
2 thoughts on “Polish â€˜Leczoâ€™ Vegetable & Sausage Stew Recipe”
This recipe is perfect. Looks amazing and tastes delicious. It is easy and quick to make. I highly recommend it
Thank you Magda!