Polish Fried Young Green Cabbage Recipe
This is definitely one of the Polish summer favorites as fresh green cabbage is available only then. Very light dish, tasty, healthy. It takes so little to make it. I eat it with fresh young potatoes and sunny side egg. But it can be a side dish to anything, any type of meat (e.g. ribs) as well as eaten alone or with bread.
Try this easy recipe out and let me know what you think.
PREP TIME: 20 min
- Half young & fresh cabbage head
- 1 small onion (egg size)
- Bunch of fresh dill
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- Pinch of sugar
UTENSILS: wok or large deep pan, another small pan
- Chop onion and add to large pan with oil, leave on medium heat while you prepare cabbage.
- Remove the stem from cabbage and cut in long strips, add to the large pan with onion. Stir fry on medium heat for 5 min.
- Add water, salt and bring to boil. Simmer for 10 min.
- In the meantime melt butter on small pan, add flour (this is how you make thickening).
- When cabbage is cooked, remove from heat, add butter with flour gently to the cabbage and stir well until butter/flour mixture melts in.
- Add sugar and vinegar/lemon juice. Then bring to boil and simmer on low heat for few minutes.
- Add fresh dill and mix well. ready to serve!
PAIR WITH: Potatoes, meat, rice, bread