Polish Cheese, Potato & Sausage Gratin
Potatoes… favorite vegetable in Poland. Polish eat potatoes like French eat baguettes and like Italians eat pasta. Potatoes are prepared in variety of ways… I can’t think of all.
This recipe is like lasagna. It has beautiful layers and it tastes even better when you reheat. When I make this gratin – in Poland called ‘Zapiekanka ziemniaczana’ – it makes 6 portions, so we eat 2 portions when just baked, eat other 2 the next day (heat in the pan or oven) and freeze 2.
Join me in this recipe and let me know what you think.
PREP TIME: 30 min (+ 70 min baking)
You will need a heat resistant vessel with top, size 20 cm x 30 cm (8 in x 11 in) or cast iron
- 200 g of Gouda cheese, slices
- 300 g Polish Smoked Kielbasa (sausage), cut in thin slices
- 2 kg baking potatoes, peeled, cut in thin slices
- 2 large onions, cut in thin slices (rings)
- 2 tbsp oil, for frying
- 150 ml or 2/3 cup heavy cream (30%)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp of each: oregano, basil, rosemary
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a pan fry onion on oil until golden, then remove and put in big bowl (5 liters/quarts)
- In the same pan, fry sausage, 5 min, remove and add to the bowl with onion
- Add potatoes to the bowl
- In a small glass container mix together cream, eggs, oil, herbs/spices- stir well.
- Pour creamy mixture over potatoes, sausage and onion. Make sure that all ingredients, especially potato slices are separated and covered in sauce.
- Put 1/3 of the mixture in a pan. Top half Gouda cheese slices.
- Add another layer (1/3) of potato mixture and second half of cheese.
- Add remaining potatoes. Using your hands, press gently the mixture to ensure all is covered in sauce.
- Cover and bake in 200 C (375 F) for 60 min.
- Uncover and bake for another 10 min (all potatoes should be soft on top and on the bottom, check as all potatoes are different).
Let cool for 15 min and serve.
PAIR WITH: salad, wine