Indian Butternut Chicken Recipe
I love India and Indian Food. This is definitely – again – not a polish meal at all, but definitely well known around the world and in Poland where Indian food become more and more popular these days.
This is a good recipe to start cooking Indian-like food, and even you are not a big fan of cuisine yet, this is a meal that will introduce you to the richest flavors in the world India is known for.
PREP TIME: 30 min (+ 2h in fridge)
- 4 tbsp of natural creamy yogurt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Spices (1 tsp of each: chili, cumin, ginger, curry, 1 tbsp garam masala)
- 500g chicken breast, cut in cubes
- 50g cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion (smaller than an egg)
- 1 tsp cardamon powder
- 1 tsp sweet pepper
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water or chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt (unless stock is salty)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream or creamy thick yogurt
- Handful of fresh cilantro
1. Ingredients #1-3 (yogurt, lime juice and spices) mix well in a bowl, then add chicken (#4). Put in a fridge and keep it covered for at least 2 hours, but best overnight.
2. Warm up nuts (#5) in a pan until golden, half of them mix in a blender, half leave on the side
3. In a pot: butter, oil, chopped onion and cardamon (#6-9), bring to heat and keep on low heat stirring until onion is golden
4. Add tomato puree, sweet pepper, water/stock, salt, sugar, ground nuts (#10-14) and chicken mixture from the fridge. Mix well, bring to boil and cook for 10 min on low heat, stirring occasionally.
5. Add sour cream (#15) and remaining nuts, cook for another 10 min.
6. Serve and don’t forget to sprinkle with fresh cilantro (#16).
Rice, Indian breads,