Lima Beans in Tomato Sauce
Today my favoutite big pot cold weather meal – white lima beans with sausage in tomato sauce – in polish – ‘fasolka po bretonsku’.
Healthy beans and tomatoes with some fatty sausage for extra energy can never hurt on a fall or winter day. You can make it vegetarian, but its not the same so I suggest to follow the orogonal recipe if you don’t mind some meat.
This is an easy recipe that everyone can make :)
COOKING TIME: 2 hours
-400g dry lima beans (or 2 cans if you want easy way)
-200g ‘polish kielbasa’ sausage
-1 large onion (150g)
-4 garlic cloves
-1 can diced tomatos with sauce
-2 tbsp tomato concentrate
-1 tbsp salt
-3 bay leaves
-5 allspice seeds
-2 tbsp dry marjoram/5g
-oil for frying
1. Place beans in a pot, cover with cold water, about 10cm above beans and leave for 8-10 hours (leave in the evening if you will be cooking in the morning or leave in the morning for evening cooking)
2. Drain beans, cover with water, bring to boil.
3. Add salt, bay leaves, allspice and cook for 90 min (until beans are soft).
*For canned beans skip step 1, bring to boil but skip 90 min cooking)
4. Chop onion, cut sausage into 0,5-1cm cubes and fry until onion golden, around 5 min. Be careful not to burn. Add minced garlic and fry low for another 3 min.
5. Add kielbasa with onion and garlic to cooked beans, add minced garlic, add tomatos with sauce, tomato concentrate and marjoram. Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes stirring from time to time.
7. Season with salt and peper to your taste.